UK Lead Organisation:
County Lead Organisation:
- Maintain the existing important areas of lowland calcareous grassland, encouraging appropriate management and promoting environmentally sensitive management of adjoining land.
- Restore degraded areas of lowland calcareous grassland by promoting appropriate management.
- Increase the amount of lowland calcareous grassland in appropriate areas by creation and re-creation.
- Ensure any examples of lowland calcareous grassland that meet the required criteria are given SBI status. (SBI Grading Committee)
- Ensure appropriate lowland calcareous grassland sites meeting the SSSI criteria are designated. (NE)
- Where existing quarry planning permissions threaten SSSI grasslands, seek to revoke them. (SWT)
Management, Monitoring, Research and Survey
- Environmental Stewardship provides grant aid for the management of unimproved calcareous grassland.
- Seek to restore and create further areas of lowland calcareous grassland in appropriate areas. (DEFRA, FWAG, Mineral Companies and Developers)
- Encourage the restoration of limestone workings to species-rich grassland using a local seed source. (SBAP Partnership)
Seek to ensure that all good examples of lowland calcareous grassland are appropriately managed through the uptake of agri-environment schemes. (DEFRA, FWAG)
Identify opportunities for habitat creation, giving priority to those that link existing sites. (SWT)