¤ Home > Action Plans > Habitats >
Action Plan: Habitats
|Farmland, Grassland and Heathland|
UK Lead Organisation:
County Lead Organisation:
- Maintain the existing important areas of lowland heathland by encouraging appropriate management.
- Restore degraded areas of lowland heathland by promoting appropriate management.
- Increase the amount of lowland heathland in appropriate areas by creation and re-creation.
- Ensure any examples of lowland heathland that meet the required criteria are given SBI status. (SBI Grading Committee)
- Ensure appropriate lowland heathland sites meeting the SSSI criteria are designated. (NE)
- Seek changes in Common Land Legislation to enable grazing re-introduction. (SWMHP)
Management, Monitoring, Research and Survey
- Seek to restore and create further areas of lowland heathland in appropriate areas. (Developers, FoM, DEFRA, Landowners)
- Target heathland creation in restoration plans for mineral workings, landfill sites and within commercial forestry in appropriate places. (Mineral Companies, Landfill Companies, FE)
Liaise with leisure interest groups to incorporate heathland conservation into their site management or to re-direct their activities to more robust locations. (SWMHP)
Ensure all heathland management plans include a consideration of sustainability issues and fire protection. (SWMHP)
Seek to re-introduce grazing on all local authority owned heathland using appropriate breeds by 2005. (SWMHP)
Seek to ensure all heathlands with management plans that are eligible for Environmental Stewardship are entered into the scheme. (SWMHP, DEFRA)
Encourage restoration of heathland on publicly owned land with surviving heathy fragments such as for example re-establishment of heathland from encroaching scrub. (SWMHP)
Liaise with forestry landholders to restore heathland from coniferous woodland. (SWMHP)