¤ Home > Action Plans > Habitats >
Action Plan: Habitats
|Farmland, Grassland and Heathland|
|Unimproved Neutral Grassland|
UK Lead Organisation:
(Upland hay meadows)
County Lead Organisation:
- Maintain the existing important areas of unimproved neutral grassland, encouraging appropriate management and promoting environmentally sensitive management of adjoining land.
- Restore degraded areas of unimproved neutral grassland by promoting appropriate management.
- Increase the amount of unimproved neutral grassland in appropriate areas by creation and re-creation.
- Ensure any examples of unimproved neutral grassland that meet the required criteria are given SBI status. (SBI Grading Committee)
- Ensure appropriate unimproved neutral grassland sites meeting the SSSI criteria are designated. (NE)
- A number of unimproved grassland sites have been notified as SSSIs.
- A number of unimproved grassland sites have been classified as Grade 1 SBIs.
Management, Monitoring, Research and Survey
- Seek to restore and create further areas of unimproved neutral grassland in appropriate areas. (DEFRA, FWAG, Mineral Companies, Developers, FoM, TNF and Landowners)
- Ensure that no inappropriate tree planting occurs in unimproved neutral grassland. (FC)
Seek to ensure that all good examples of unimproved neutral grassland are appropriately managed through the uptake of agri-environment schemes. (DEFRA, FWAG, TNF)
Identify opportunities for habitat creation, giving priority to those that link existing sites. (SWT)
Environmental Stewardship provides grant aid for the management of unimproved grassland sites.