- Maintain existing mosses by resisting further losses or degradation, promoting appropriate, sustainable management and encouraging environmentally sensitive management of adjoining land.
- Restore degraded mosses by promoting appropriate management, including the restoration of water levels and the clearance of scrub.
- Ensure all existing mosses are maintained in a favourable condition by 2010.
- Initiate restoration on all degraded mosses by 2005.
Total achievements to date (November 1998 - March 2001)
- SWT have purchased 23.33ha of land adjacent to Loynton Moss SSSI with a view to restoration and protection of the current peat bog of 13ha. A hydrological monitoring survey has been commissioned at Loynton Moss SSSI for the protection of the bog. Expected completion 2002.
Protection and Policy
Management, Research and Survey
- All three intact Mosses are managed for their nature conservation interest (one by English Nature and two by Staffordshire Wildlife Trust).
- The landowners of two former peat bogs have been contacted to ask if they would allow feasibility studies to be carried out on their land. Limited progress to date.