UK Lead Organisation:
County Lead Organisation:
- To maintain the biodiversity of appropriate cereal field margins within the county.
- Lobby for positive conservation incentives and further grant aid for the creation and sympathetic management of field margins. (SWT, RSPB and other NGOs)
- Seek to encourage the placement of 2-6 metre field margins along streams and brooks adjacent to or within arable fields. (DEFRA, FWAG)
- Some compounds have statutory label exemptions preventing their use on the outermost six metre strips of crops to prevent over-spraying of watercourses and protect non-cropped habitats.
- Under the Food & Environment Act 1985 it is currently illegal to spray directly into hedge bottoms unless they have off-label exemptions.
Management, Monitoring, Research and Survey
- Seek to restore and create further areas of arable field margins in appropriate areas. (DEFRA, FWAG, FoM, TNF)
Seek to focus restoration in areas of high biodiversity (e.g. barn owl sites) to increase the network of field margins. (DEFRA, FWAG)
Funding for arable field margin enhancements is available under the Environmental Stewardship.