UK Lead Organisations:
County Lead Organisation:
- To maintain the current existing populations within Staffordshire.
- To expand the existing populations in Staffordshire.
- Seek to ensure that policy makers for agricultural land are 'Hare Aware'. (SBAP Partnership, SMG)
- Hares are game species and enjoy some limited protection through the Ground Game Act 1880 and the Hare Protection Act 1911. They may not be offered for sale between 1 March and 31 July, a discouragement to shooting during the main breeding period.
Management, Monitoring, Research and Survey
- Survey and recording is undertaken by Staffordshire Mammal Group.
Advice on habitats available from Staffordshire Wildlife Trust, the Staffordshire Mammal Group and FWAG.
An SBAP Species Recording Card has been produced and circulated for the brown hare.
Seek to target long term set-a-side to increase hare numbers, especially on the fringe of current distribution. (DEFRA, FWAG)
Seek to manage non-agricultural land e.g. amenity grassland and parkland to encourage hares. (Landowners, Developers)
Seek to incorporate beneficial brown hare management practices into Staffordshire County Council farms estate tenancy agreements. (County Farm Estates)