¤ Home > Action Plans > Species >
Action Plan: Species
|Pipistrelle Bat (Pipistrellus pipistrellus
and P. pygmaeus)|
UK Lead Organisation:
South East Staffordshire Bat Group
- To maintain all known current populations.
- To safeguard all known roost sites.
- To retain and enhance suitable habitat to increase the distribution and population density.
- Seek support for SBG and SEB to continue monitoring of roosts, survey of areas affected by proposed development and the provision of advice to householders. (SBAP Partnership)
- Continue to develop the current training procedures for bat workers and other people whose occupational activities may bring them into contact with bats. (BCT, SBG, SEB)
Liaison with local authorities to ensure the guidelines in PPG9 are followed and considered in local plans and development control. (BCT, SBG, SEB, SWT)
Target developers, planning authorities and other key decision makers regarding the current procedures concerning developments that may affect bats. (BCT, SBG, SEB, SWT)
- Bats and their roosts are protected by national and European legislation including the Wildlife and Countryside Act (1981) and the Conservation (Natural Habitats, etc) Regulations 1994, the Berne and Bonn conventions, CRoW Act 2000 and the EC Habitats and Species Directive.
Management, Monitoring, Research and Survey
- Use of bat boxes at selected sites e.g. Cannock Chase, Hem Heath Wood, Tittensor Wood.
- Natural England, Staffordshire Bat Group and South East Staffordshire Bat Group provide advice on bats in the county.
Staffordshire Bat Group and South East Staffordshire Bat Group collect data on distribution in the county.
Continue participation in the National Bat Monitoring Programmes. Increase survey work to identify summer roosts. (SBG, SEB)
Investigate habitat requirements and ecology in Staffordshire to assist in the formulation of management plans and enable appropriate advice. (BCT, SBG, SEB)
- Increase species awareness for the public and landowners through education, promotion and events. (SBAP Partnership)
- Undertake 15 promotional events and walks each year promoting the conservation of Pipistrelle by 2010. (SBG, SEB)
- Improve the communication process for people waiting to contact national / local batline and registered bat workers. (SBG, SEB, CT)