UK Lead Organisation:
The Game Conservancy Trust
County Lead Organisation:
- To halt the decline, in both numbers and range, of the grey partridge.
- To maintain and where possible enhance the current range of this species.
- To restore a proportion of the population to its previous level.
- Seek to consider the requirements of grey partridge when establishing and reviewing agri-environment schemes. (DEFRA)
- To lobby for increased funding to support organic and mixed farm systems. (Nature Conservation Organisations)
- Seek to incorporate beneficial farmland bird management practices into Staffordshire County Council farms estate tenancy agreements. (County Farm Estates)
Management, Monitoring, Research and Survey
- Grey partridge has been listed as a costed, key species in the UK Steering Group Report.
- Environmental Stewardship provides grant aid for farmers. A range of options under this scheme (i.e. grass margins, hedge planting, conservation headlands) has the potential to benefit grey partridge and from 2002, this scheme will include new arable options which will benefit this species. DEFRA and FWAG actively promote this scheme throughout the county. RSPB ‘Bird Aid’ (intervention) project established at 3 sites in Staffordshire, looking at provision of food for farmland birds in field margins. Ongoing for 3 years.
- Seek to target appropriate land management measures at areas with recent or current populations of grey partridge. (GCT, RSPB)
- Seek to promote field margins, conservation headlands and beetle banks as valuable wildlife habitats and encourage the retention, management and planting of hedgerows. (DEFRA, FWAG, GCT)
Seek to target the new arable options within the Environmental Stewardship to benefit grey partridge. (DEFRA, FWAG, RSPB)
Seek to encourage targeted use of pesticides on farmland and promote the value of integrated crop management. (DEFRA)
Seek to encourage the retention of over wintered stubble’s, the late cutting of silage and the provision of insect rich chick feeding areas, through agri-environment schemes. (DEFRA, FWAG)
Seek to encourage the use of the wild bird cover set aside option and other game cover mixes. (GCT, BASC, DEFRA, FWAG)
Promote full use of the new multi-annual set aside option to deliver 5 year management plans to benefit farmland birds including grey partridge. (RSPB, DEFRA, FWAG)
To encourage the small scale planting of arable crops (i.e. barley as whole field silage, or kale as a forage crop) in predominantly pastoral areas. (GCT, BASC, RSPB)
- To establish base line data and to monitor the numbers and range of grey partridge in the county. (RSPB, BTO)
- To promote volunteer participation in national monitoring schemes currently operating in the county i.e. Breeding Bird Survey. (BTO, WMBC, RSPB)